Pages

Monday

AAQI Quilt Auction


Quilt #9648 - Changing the World

The Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative June Auction is in full swing! As I was making this small (9" x 12") format art quilt for AAQI I knew it was my "sudden, and for sure" favorite new quilt.

Now I love ALL of the quilts that I make and donate, and each and every single one I love enough to want to keep, trust me. And I've said that and felt that before, and no doubt I'll do it again. But I just really love this one! And if you could see it in real life, and not from a scanned or photographed image..you would too!

Perhaps it was the beautiful fabric that I started out with...it's hard to beat a really good hand dyed batik, then it might have been all of the added surface design like the metallic paintsticks , crayons, thread painting here and there and the other elements like the beads that were individually painted in Africa, or perhaps it was really just the Margaret Mead quotation:

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."

That's the basic message of AAQI and all that Ami Simms started and all that she and so many other volunteers help her do, today. It is why we all quilt, and why we all donate money, and why we all, if we can, purchase the quilts and hang them proudly on our walls in our studios, family rooms, and even under kitchen cupboards for instant wall art, anywhere and everywhere.

Those of us who have a personal connection through our own care giving experiences with family members who have faced this dreaded disease, we care and we care deeply. This is deeply personal for me. And it's important that a lot of my own heartfelt energies go into each and every art quilt I make. I want them to be stared into, and experienced and the energies to connect with my heart and all that I am feeling ..not about Alzheimer's..about life and the purpose of our lives for creating a better world for all of us.

This quilt Quilt #9648 - Changing the World is now in the private collection of Bill Volkening. It is part of his own AAQI exhibit and recently featured at the Carlton Winery. He loved my quilt titled and used it as the name of his exhibit and has created a sweet little book on the quilts in this exhibit, including my own, titled quilt! 


Bill's book can be found here:

Changing the World: Quilts from the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative ...

www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/3498527
Book title: Changing the World: Quilts from the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative, By: The Volckening Collection, Category: Uncategorized, Book ...Aug 26, 2012 – Book title: Changing the World: Quilts from the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative, By: The Volckening Collection, Category: Uncategorized, Book ...

Michele Bilyeu blogs With Heart and Hands as she shares a quilting journey through her life in Salem, Oregon and Douglas, Alaska. Sharing thousands of links to Free Quilt and Quilt Block Patterns and encouraging others to join in the Liberated Quilting Challenge and make or donate small art quilts to the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative (AAQI) Help us change the world, one little quilt at a time!